|Autor:||George Timkowski, Julius Heinrich Klaproth|
A Nineteenth Century Description of a Central Asian Region
Kokand is a Central Asian town in the Fergana Region of what is now eastern Uzbekistan. In the early 19th century George Timkowski, a Russian envoy to China from 1820 to 1821, used the name “Kokand” to refer to the region around the town. His description of the Kokand, or Fergana, region was originally published in the Russian language in the 1820s. It was translated into French by German linguist and Orientalist Julius H. Klaproth (1783-1835). Klaproth’s French version of Timkowski’s work was then translated into English by H. E. Lloyd in 1827.
Kokand, the Fergana Region, and surrounding areas of Central Asia, were ruled by many different empires over the centuries. The Fergana Region was dominated by Chinese dynasties, and, later by Arabs, who introduced Islam. The area was conquered by the Mongols in the 13th century. The modern city of Kokand developed in the 18th century, when it was the capital of the Uzbek-led Khanate of Kokand.
Kokand and the Fergana region were conquered by the Russian Empire in the 1880s. During the Russian Revolution some of the former Imperial Russian territories of Central Asia briefly re-established their independence. But the Russian Communists soon re-established control over Russian Turkistan, incorporating the area into the Soviet Union.
After the disintegration of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, the Central Asian republics regained their independence. Kokand and the Fergana Region became part of Uzbekistan.